Image Map

Thursday, June 16, 2011

26.2...Utah Valley

Running 2 marathons in 3 weeks might not be the best idea I have ever had. Remember my post about the Ogden marathon and how it didn't go all that well?!? Besides not having the best marathon ever, I ended up having some hip problems and not being able to run much between the 2 marathons. I heard great things about the course, but I didn't start out with too high of expectations about how the marathon would go.

When my hip wasn't feeling better a week after Ogden, I started going to physical therapy. I felt much better, but I knew I wasn't 100%. I didn't get as nervous as I usually do until the driver didn't know how to get to the start line. Every time we turned around I got more and more anxious. I never really got over that. I am not kidding when I say I started struggling in the first mile. I could never get my pace under control, and my hip was bugging me. Thankfully the Grand Slam made it so quitting was absolutely not an option. I knew I could push through and get to the finish somehow.

I don't usually run with people I meet along the way, but this marathon was totally different. I met 3 groups of people that literally got me through the marathon. All of the groups had at least 1 person who was struggling a bit and someone who could have finished much faster but slowed way down for a friend. I learned a really important lesson about charity that day.

Suzie ran the half and then stayed to run the last few miles with me and drive me home. I don't have a picture to prove it, but Emily S stayed for hours and hours to see me run in and take these pictures. It was so nice of her and Suzie.
finally getting to the finish line
with my new friends Natalie and Tiffany. they inspired me all along the way.

The kindness/support of strangers and friends got me through this marathon. I might not have preformed as well I would have liked, but this marathon experience was about so much more than running. Some day soon I really am going to do a post about running and why I keep doing this over and over again.

5 comments:

  1. You seriously are so amazing! I don't know how you do SO many FULL marathons!
    Congrats you rockstar you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, what a great post!! It's so interesting how totally different experiences can come about despite the fact that you're doing the same thing over and over! Hope we get to hang again real soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome. Life's lessons come in strange places. It's great you recognized this one on charity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Aubs...

    Where do I even begin? You are crazy and totally awesome at the same time! I seriously love your motivation, dedication and inspiration! I feel horrible about your hip and you not feeling well about this marathon, but the fact that you ran it anyway for a more important purpose of The Grand Slam, is pretty dang remarkable!

    I can't wait to read the post about why you continue this...

    Congrats babe!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes ma'am, you are inspiring! I don't have any desire to EVER run a marathon, and here you are being crazy running 4 of them this summer? You go girl. I'm good with a half-marathon once a year, and a few relays here and there. :) So glad you met some cool people on the course. I love that story. :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by. i love love love hearing from you! i usually respond to comments through email so make sure you aren't a no-reply blogger.